Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My First Aquathlon

February 1, 2009
Sunday morning

After a gruelling, 4.5hr, 90km bike ride on my birthday the previous day, I did have enough energy left to survive my first aquathlon (Speedo Aquathlon, Ultra Compound, 950m swim / 3K hill run). Admittedly I was not in the best condition and preparation for this event, but thank God I finished. My very low ranking reflected my level of preparation and effort, but thankfully I was not the last finisher like in my first triathlon. Miraculously, my swim and run times were slightly better than that of the sole practice round I did for this event. I guess I simply have to train harder and more seriously, and not bike hard before my next aquathlon!

I have the finisher shirt and photos to prove I did finish (hehe).


I always love the Speedo finisher shirts


Okay, I promise to lose 20lbs more within six months.


Aquathlon first-timers Ian, MJ and myself
(Ian, I hope you don't mind if I grabbed this pic from your blog)


I did have a normal birthday celebration with family after all. In line with the aqua theme the family went to its favorite destination resto Palaisdaan along National Highway, Bay, Laguna.



Love this place. Our food came from that pond.


Me in my finisher shirt with 2 of my ardent fans.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Am a first timer during that event as well.

http://nieldagondon.multiply.com/journal/item/11/Im_an_Aquathlete

Unlike you, i ended up close to finishing last. Came accross your site looking for the Feb 22 aquathlon in ateneo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rico. Congratulations on the aquathon and great photos, especially with your two ardent fans. That must have been fun!

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and Belated Happy Birthday, Eric....more running and racing to come....

Anonymous said...

Hi Rico,

masyado mabilis pag click ko... eric pla na type ko instead of Rico...hehehe sorry ha... happy birthday!

Rico Villanueva said...

Niel, you actually timed better than me! But what is important is that we had the courage to start it and the will to finish it. It can only get better and more fun from here on.

Thanks Wayne. It sure was fun. Those girls are my nieces.

Hello Anna. Truth is I am Eric at home, so there was no mistake actually :-) I think I changed nickname when we had 3 Erics in my barkada. Turned out Rico is not so unique too. Heck, I even have a basketball player namesake. Thanks for the greeting.

Anonymous said...

hey Rico, I'm sure i have already posted a comment on this post. anyway, no worries on the pic.. I'll see you on our next aquathlon adventure.. :-)

Rico Villanueva said...

hey Ian. I saw two similar comments; just retained one. The first one must have gone down the drain :-) See you in Ateneo. I better practice some more hehe

Anonymous said...

Ey cool. Where can I check out the results?

Rico Villanueva said...

Niel, check out TRAP's sight:

http://triathlon.org.ph/

Rico Villanueva said...

Jeez, that should have been TRAP's site.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first aquathlon!

Anonymous said...

Rico BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you for finishing your first aquathlon! Don't worry about finishing last or finishing weak, what matters most is if you enjoyed the experience and if you're proud of your accomplishments! PROUD kame sayo so dapat ikaw rin!


And belated happy birthday as well. Bardyer naman jan!