Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sea of Smiles



Preparation

I have done my long runs.
I have decided on my race pace.
I have done my tempo run at race pace.
I have estimated how long it will take me to finish.

I am at the end of my taper.
No more runs for me till race day.
My daily stretching and amateur attempts at yogic poses continue.
I have been eating a lot of fruits.
I have slightly increased my complex carbohydrate intake.
I am taking my regular protein requirement.

I have enlisted with the
takbo.ph support group.
I have chosen the pair of shoes to use.
I have cleaned my hydration belt.
I have decided on carbo snacks to put on my belt pouch.
I have charged my Garmin.

I know what I want to get out of this race.


Anticipation

I would be wearing the takbo.ph singlet.
I would pin on my singlet the Runners For Others special bib
I would have fun in the takbo.ph runner's party.
I will probably watch a dog show on Saturday morning.
I will likely tag along my pomeranian.
I might take a dip in the pool to relax.
I will probably read the Saturday paper cover-to-cover.
I will probably catch the latest showbiz gossip on tv.
I will memorize and rehearse the powersongs I might sing in my head come race day.
Most likely, I will not need the songs. My fellow runners' collective energy will power me.
I will watch Slumdog Millionaire before I sleep.

I have run longer distances several times.
Recovering from injury, my personal challenge is to run without injury aggravation.
I have read about and dealt with cramps.
Cramps is body's defense against human folly of exerting beyond what one trained for.
I am wise enough to know the initial signs and heed its warning.
I have struck a workable but fragile deal with my body.
I intend to keep my part of the bargain.
I am prepared for the worst, but optimistic about the best.
I am anticipating race day magic.
With God's grace, it will happen.


Celebration

I will jumpstart my celebration on race day by eating my favorite Spanish bread and hopia.
If I have time I will drink a glass of Milo.
I will go to the race site with the heady and healthy mix of excitement, optimism and tension.
I will drink from the fountain of goodwill and excitement that will permeate the air
I will smile with my mouth, eyes, body and spirit.
I will smile knowing many will rejoice in their new distance conquered or new personal best.
I will smile knowing many will have a good time and go home with loot bags, photos and memories.
I will smile knowing that the whale shark will continue to catch krill with that big mouth of his.
I will smile knowing that a cleft-lipped child will soon smile back in return.
I will smile knowing that in-spite of global recession and corruption brought by greed,
Runs likes these will continue to bring out the good in all of us.

It will be a Sea of Smiles.
And God will smile back at us from the Skies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great post!

See you on Sunday.

:-)

Bluesman68 said...

Congrats bro! And nice seeing you at Condura.

God bless!