Monday, July 13, 2009

Running Away from Home

I was looking forward to running the 21k in the Globe-Ayala Land Run for Home. It will be my major race after doing my first marathon. I was interested to know if in two weeks I would be well enough to run a half-marathon, and if running a marathon would actually help me run better the shorter distances. The event has all the trappings and excitement of a major race, but more than these, I was excited for a couple of friends who have decided to do this for their first half-marathon.
I heard about the initial difficulties in the early part of the registration period but I was expecting they would have been ironed out when I went to the Globe business center this morning to finally register. I had the choice of registering with the business center or Fitness First, but I opted to register with the former thinking that for Php300 I would be registered in a race and get Php80 worth of Unlitxt.
I was misinformed. I spent more than Php80 of my time trying to tell the service clerk that the form clearly says Php300 cash-out for post-paid subscriber, with me thinking that Php80 worth of unlitxt is embedded in the cash-out. I was told that the actual cost would actually be Php380, for I would also automatically be billed for a service I do not exactly want nor need. That detail was not in the form but was in the website I eventually learned after walking out of the business center.
I would also learn from the Globe website that the race pricing scheme varies, that while the scheme may promote their business interests, it sends a different signal for a loyal, old-time mobile post-paid subscriber like me. Current pre-paid subscribers gets the cheapest rate, followed by the new prepaid subscriber, then the post-paid and Platinum subscribers.
Promo options:
I’m not a Globe subscriber but I want to avail of the promo package
Promo Bundle 1: Globe Prepaid SIM P45.00, P300.00 load with UNLI ALL DAY P80.00 (P345.00)
I’m an existing Globe Prepaid subscriber and I want to avail of the promo package
Promo Bundle 2: P300.00 load with UNLI ALL DAY P80.00(P300.00)
I’m an existing Globe Postpaid subscriber and I want to avail of the promo package
Promo Bundle 3: P300.00 Registration Fee, UNLI ALL DAY for P80.00 charged to MSF (P300.00)
I’m an existing Globe Platinum subscriber and I want to avail of the promo package
Promo Bundle 4: P300.00 Registration Fee, UNLI ALL DAY for P80.00 charged to MSF (P300.00)
I’m not interested in any of the promo. I will pay the normal rate(P500 for 3k-10k or P700 for 21k).

Note: Online registrations will be charged an additional 13%. This additional charge will be used to cover the processing of your application form and payment. Upon registering, you should receive an email confirmation within 24 hours.

I had already spent a good deal of time and energy trying to register for this race. But in the end, I opted to cancel my registration and get back my Php300. For Php80 difference I walked out of a race. Eighty-pesos will not even buy me a cup of Starbucks coffee. I know Globe heavily subsidized the use of timing chips for this race, but why differentiate among runners/subscribers? Why discriminate against post-paid customers? In my 12 years as a subscriber, I never felt so unwanted.
Maybe I will just pace some friends, in whose company I feel at home.
-o-
I am still Smarting from this Globe marketing/pricing scheme. So I decided to do the next best thing: (Don't get mad,) get even!
I registered using a friend's prepaid number. I paid Php300. I get to give prepaid load to a friend, I get to race, I get to support my friends, and I intend to get all the freebies I can lay my hands on race day.

15 comments:

daytripper1021 said...

mag-SunCellular ka na pre! :)

RPA said...

waaahhhh... kala ko di ka mag-run dito. i was about to suggest that you run instead sa MOVE Run. same day as Globe's, sa UP. anyways, see you sa post race breakfast. malamang sa McDo na naman. =)

i'll be running 5K sa MOVE, then hopefully, makabalik agad sa The Fort to run my 10K sa globe. no, i did not pay for the globe run. nagkataon lang na sponsor ang isang brand namin so may free slots. =)

Rico Villanueva said...

Daytripper, haha, nice suggestion :-)

Rod, I am really torn between this and MOVE. I wanted to run the 10K sana with Team Logan but I haven't done speed training lately. Also, I wanted to support Neil and Mike, both Milo volunteers, who are doing their first marathon in Globe. I am finally registered for Globe using someone's prepaid number but I haven't got the kit yet. If for any reason there is still a hitch in the kit claim, MOVE na talaga ako.

mykol antigua said...

Hey Rico! Natawa ako sa entry mo na ito! In the end, di ka rin nakatiis. But the point you raised re: reg fee is very valid. Altho the whole thing is for the benefit of Habitat for Humanity, I can't shake the fact that its making the reg process somewhat complicated for the regular joe. Sana lang the donation goes directly to Habitat nga. In any case, thanks for your support to Neil and I! Di ka naman namin sinisingil pa, ehhee! Wherever you feel most comfy, that's where you should go. There'll be other races and opportunities for you to repay us, not that you have to...

Brownie said...

are you joining sir the globe run for home challenge?i will be up for the 21k. assuming to win hehe, maybe if some here are not informed for the deadline for online registration. its still up until July 14. just check out this site n lng.

http://www.globe.com.ph/runforhome

hope to see you there!

rachel said...

Hey Mr. V.,

Yup, it's so ironic that pre-paid subscribers get a better deal compared to post-paid. Go figure. I used my daughter's pre-paid number to register (as suggested by the Globe personnel). The Globe personnel said that they may be sending announcements to that mobile number you used to register. FYI.

Neil said...

Wow Rico. Natouch naman kami...

If you still can't claim your race kit, no problem. We will not disappoint our Takbo.phh Family.

Kenkoy Runner said...

me too! i opted to get smart with globe by using my sister's prepaid plan for the reg. i was able to save up 300 kasi sabi ko sa ate ko, buy ko sha ng 300 load hehehe ;) tas yun. hehehe :)

takbo na lang tayo! :) basta ako 5k lang hahaha ;)

wilson said...

As a Globe post paid subscriber myself, I also find it weird that it is actually cheaper for prepaid subscribers to register. I was expecting that we would be given a higher priority. Maybe they are trying to "milk" their "supposedly" subscribers? Anyway I registered using my sister's prepaid number, so I ended up shelling out just 300 bucks too. Glad to hear you still pushed through with your registration. I read that you clocked in your fastest 21k split last week. Surely, a half marathon PR is in order this weekend. It's yours for the taking. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You are correct. I am a PLATINUM subscriber for several years now and even paid more than my brother in law who just got his pre paid sim few days ago.

lyndon aka malmonmd

Rico Villanueva said...

Mike, oo nga di ako nakatiis. Haha. The reg process is indeed complicated. After paying and registering face-to-face, you have to sign up pa for that Unlitxt thing. I am not a fan of those mobile registration things. Good luck pala sa half-marathon ninyo (I think i mentioned marathon in the comment).

Hi Ramil, I am not really aware of the Globe Run challenge. I just want to run with friends, and maybe improve my personal record.

Rachel, kainis nga di ko agad naisip to look for prepaid subscriber. I thought post-paid subscribers are priveleged. It's a curse pala. hehe

Neil, just really want to see you and mike do your half-marathon. I am sure Mar will be there to guide you and you will not fail your takbo.ph family.

Tim, sana nga naisip ko agad yan. Hindi na sana nasayang yung oras ko.

Wilson, from a business point of view post-paid subscribers are really high-cost because of the data maintenance and bill printing/mailing. So that may explain why Globe is pushing the prepaid and favoring them. I am just a little disappointed that even for a run like this, the marketing/registration slant is so business-minded, and not with the runner in mind. I find it off-putting. Thanks anyhow for the well-wishes. Mag dilang anghel ka sana on the PR :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rico,

That was funny! I guess nothing can keep real runners from a promise of a great race -- not even feeling of rejection from a 12-year partnership. hahaha

See you around!

-Mariel

Rico Villanueva said...

Doc Lyndon, naisip ko nga rin to just get a new prepaid SIM with load and unlitxt, pero I felt I was just contributing to the illusion of increased subscriber base. Well, at least with your Platinum plan you get perks like free use of Globe lounge. :-)

Hi Mariel, yeah it is funny how I had to blog about this and can't let go of it. Haha. Yup, I look forward to a great race. Running friends will make it great. Hope to meet you soon :-)

RunningPepper said...

I like this one : (Don't get mad,) get even! =)

Gingerbreadman said...

Let's get even! I got confused also, why were postpaid subscribers getting a bad deal? I have a plan also in my name, albeit being loaned out to my mom while she's in the country. So I used my number, Tito Caloy's number, and voila 300 free load! I have absolutely no idea why they priced it like that, should have been equitable.

Let's get em' freebies :P