Friday, April 2, 2010

Long Hot Summer



April and May. For most part of my life these two have been my favorite months. In summer, there is no school. From 7am to 7pm, the kid that was me would be out on the street building castles from construction sand piles, Tower of Babel from flat rocks and and compacted earth, and making kites of out newspaper or plastic and flying them over narra and acacia trees. Summer also meant the traditional, often viewed as mandatory, family trip to the beach, swim pools, lakes or rivers. In summer the family had to quench its thirst for water and adventure. Summer is for wading in the pool, riding the trusty BMX, and racing on foot across baseball fields and trails of vacant subdivision lots.

I am now in the nth summer of my full life, but in many ways I have stayed true to the lure and promise of summer. My 2010 summer calendar is packed so much with activities I had to pencil in and highlight rest days lest I forget them. For this year, my summer began earlier on mid-February when I decided to book myself on this adventure called Camsur 70.3 Half-ironman on August 22, 2010. I know the rains will come on June, July or August, but for me, Summer 2010 officially ends in August. Long bike rides, biking up the mountains, Wednesday Swim Nights, open water swims in beaches and lakes, heat training runs, and cool summer night runs. Ahhh, summer!

I wish I was back in my high school English class writing about what I did with summer. Just barely a month into my long hot summer I have already been in several fun adventures, the kind of stuff you want to write and tell stories about. In the guise of training I've been to MOA, C6, Subic and Anvaya. There are many more places I wish to explore. Oftentimes however, I am either so soaked in the fun, or expired from having too much fun that I had no time to sit down and write. But the stories, I have always carried them in my head, and everytime I remember them I smile. I still have several months of summer. There is still enough time for short stories of summer. I hope to share them with you soon.


4 comments:

Julius said...

Rico, there's no way for any of us to return to high school composition class, but we have something better - the blogosphere. Looking forward to reading about more of your summer adventures. See you around, buddy.

"Atty" Julius hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Rico, just continue living the moment without worrying about when to write about it. Its also good to keep some ideas in the development phase until its time to put them into words. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

cathy said...

I know where that pic was taken!!! Ohmy I miss Camaya... Wala na ulit nun Rico? =(

Gingerbreadman said...

Rix, so shall we start planning our own summer adventure? haha :)