Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Room For God

Last weekend my grand plan was to train (swim, bike and run), do  pending stuff for my multi-sport team Endure, put into writing those overdue blog entries in my head, tackle the take-home work, and then go out and hear mass. In my physical and mental exhaustion, I only managed the first two and the last task. I skipped the emotional release that is my blog and the bread-and-butter that is work for spiritual nourishment and a chance at love. Bahala na. I think I got my priorities right naman.

I hurriedly went to Greenbelt to catch the evening mass. I circled the basement park lot about 3 times when I blurted out in frustration. Lord, minsan lang ako makapag-simba, bigyan mo naman ako ng park slot. Lo and behold, an SUV vacated a prime slot just in front of the mall basement entrance. There is indeed a God!

I decided to loiter inside the mall while I wait for my companion and for the mass to start. On the middle of the aisle I saw the Condura Marathon registration. I was eyeing the 21K marathon distance of that race, but I was simply too busy to register for it. Registration for long distances was already closed days before, but I heard organizers might open new slots. I casually asked and had to ask this twice in disbelief: Are you sure meron pa talagang 21K slot? Yes, there is a slot. Yes there is a God.

I registered in a jiffy. Eight minutes tops to complete the process. Five minutes to eat my free Hershey bar while I bring my unexpected Condura kit back to the car. Hurry up I said. In my Condura excitement, I forgot the mass has started.

I reached the church in that part of the homily where the priest explained:  It is alright to have goals. Short-term, medium-term and long-term. But leave some room for God. Leave room for Him to do miracles in your life. I smiled. I just experienced a small one. In a few moments my companion arrived. God does His miracles in quirky ways -  like park slots, race kits, flaming cheese and vanilla ice cream.


6 comments:

The Scientist Runner said...

Amen! Enjoy the skyway :)

daytripper1021 said...

nice post! :) see u at the Skyway!

--Roelle
http://daytripped-running.blogspot.com

Rico Villanueva said...

Thanks, thanks. See you all on teh Skyway!

rachel said...

So true! Talk about instant reply! (maybe the big Man up there was using his BB? hehe) Your blog made me smile. Thanks for sharing! (P.S. Neil told me about this and asked me to read it too)

Rico Villanueva said...

Hey Rache, I'm glad this made you smile. Meron nga yatang BlackBerry si God. Instant reply! Kumusta kay Pareng Neil, sana sa Subit mahabol ka naman siya. Good luck sa Condura!

MaRídoL said...

Hello Boss Rico!
:) This is a very inspiring entry. Many thanks for reminding us... that little nudge is needed every now and then, to keep us in track and focus amidst all the distractions.