Friday, February 4, 2011

Condura in my Mind

The Condura Run is special for me for the memories it evokes and the milestones I associate with it.

The 2009 edition for me was extra special. Before then, there were not many half-marathons and longer distances. I could only remember the Adidas KOTR 21K, Milo Marathon and New Balance 25K as the races for those who run long. The running boom was manifesting signs, but it was still not quite there. Condura was the tipping point. The Concepcions pointed to the Skyway as some lofty ideal, and the runners responded.

But the beautiful story for me is how runners helped one another in the run-up towards the race. A handful of runners from takbo.ph - new acquaintenances but all eager runners - rocked their brains out on how to encourage the runners to try the then formidable distance that is 21K. Jinoe and Que Gavan, Lyndon Cosico, Nathaniel Garcia, Cathy Daza and myself met many times to plan that fateful March 8 LSD when security guards in BHS were surprised by the turn-out at dawn by about sixty runners.

At at time when the only carbo-loading one can hear about is that for Milo Marathon finalists, takbo.ph came up with a CLP that is an attempt to put runners and bloggers in one roof. The CLP was also a meeting place to discuss a support station that shall eradicate the concerns about hydration and nutrition then. That support station would be emulated in many marathons and ultramarathons that followed.

I missed running the 2010 version, but I trained with friends and booked the first flight to Manila to catch them finish their first marathon. The Galloway method that a handful of us experimented in 2009 was brought to fore when many converts and advocates finished their maiden marathon infury-free and strong. The 2010 Condura Marathon was a milestone not only for many first time marathoners, but also for attracting the largest number of marathoners in a single local race I believe.

For the 2011 edition, my friends are either gunning for marathon PRs, using the race as training run for ultramarathon, or running or doing support in silent tribute to the race thay they once loved and hope to continue loving. I am part of this last group.

I shall be there in the Skyway in my black takbo.ph singlet, launched in the 2009 unofficial Condura CLP and worn with pride during the first running foray onto the Skyway. I am a founder and member of Endure Multi-sports team, but on that fateful day I am an ordinary runner submitting himself to the greater good of the running community. In the current sea of running clubs and teams, I pay tribute to the values that made Condura Run, takbo.ph, and maybe even the running boom today:  self-actualization done in the spirit of collective support and fun.

On Sunday, amidst the sea of colors, may we all realize that we are runners all sharing the same road. Godspeed everyone!

15 comments:

Jinoe said...

Hi Rico,

I missed those days too. Kung mag CLP tayo uli, I wonder anong venue kakasya tayo. :P

Drop by sa aid station on Sunday if you can.

Julius said...

THE Rico Villanueva is SO back. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday, buddy.

Rico Villanueva said...

Haaay Jinoe, kung maibabalik ko lang ang panahon. Hahah. Baka pwede tayo sa Araneta Coliseum? O SMX haha.

Hey Julius, don't ask me how I manage to write this, but yes I am TRYING to get back. Haha. Hope to see you on the Skyway or finish line.

FlyingBoar said...

I always enjoy reading your entry Rico. It always come from the heart. Hope you go back on writing again. Yes, Takbo.ph is where it all started.

mykol antigua said...

Truly inspirational, Rico! I salute all that you have done, as well as your bros and sistahs in Takbo.ph, of which I am also a part of, in a most humble way. I aspire to be like Sheerwill, too! Keep moving forward, bro!

Run Kick Smash said...

Nice post boss Rico! See you on the road! I'll look for you there and then pace with you on the 1st ulet. :)

Kenkoy Runner said...

nice entry as always ricow! :)
those were the days... :)

Doc Marvz said...

welcome back to the blogging world sheerwill! ;) it's so nice to read from you again.

Rico Villanueva said...

Thank you Carina. We all have our unique voices, beautiful in our own ways. Thank you as well for sharing your talents in takbo.ph, ANR and Endure.

Hey Grouchy Runner Mykol, we all get inspiration somewhere and simply pay things forward. Let us continue this happy cycle.

Hey Sid, I may be too slow for you this time. But let's dance to the rhythms of our respective bodies lang. We shall all see each other naman sa turnaround or finish line. Be on the lookout for surprise strong finish

Hello Kenkoy Timmy. The fun days can still be extended. Let's DOH it!

Doc Marvs, Condura na ulit! Hehe. Enjoy your run on the Skyway.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Rico! I definitely miss the run events back there. Condura is something special. It was my first half marathon back in 2009 and the last marathon i did last year. Can't believe its been a year. I seriously need to get back in shape... Ian

Anonymous said...

After reading this piece, I smile. Everything that we all feel good about in running springs forth from the fun and sincere camaraderie we remember takbo.ph and condura to be (i was a newbie in the condura clp and i felt the genuine fun of it all then.

I read further on your previous entry saying you missed your inspirational bloggers?

I don't miss mine anymore...

Gingerbreadman said...

Everyone's talking bout the good ol' days.... (parang Rico J naman ata yun) Hahaha. Imagine how far we have gone in that span of time.The black Takbo.ph singlet is still with me, set aside in a special place, one of only 300 who have it. I met a lot of you guys that night, Doc MArv and FLorence were on my table. I was like 200 pounds lol. In hindsight, I should have hoarded these singlets when I had the chance bwahahahaha

RPA said...

ayun oh!!! idol!!!

i remember that LSD. it was my first LSD and first time to meet the takbo.ph core. i miss those days. =)

write more!!! =D

kita kits sa Sunday!!!

Neil said...

Ang sipag mo ngayon ah. I miss those days also. I got to volunteer kahit for a while last Sunday pero di na kita naabutan as I had to pace with Rachel. Tri season na at sana tayo ay magkita-kita sa tubig at kalsada!

Rico Villanueva said...

Tridol Ian, full IM na next year! Pwede ba yan sa Aussie? Haha

Thanks Marga. You have one of the biggest hearts in takbo.ph. Keep spreading the love.

GBM, so 200 lbs ka noon, meron pa akong mag-asa ma-reach ang PowerPuff Boys speed. Haha

Hey Rod, Milo marathon na uli. Haha

Hi Neil, sayang di ko na ikaw naabutan. Ang bilis siguro ni Rachel. Or super pasyal pace ako. Haha