Friday, March 4, 2011

Small is Beautiful

I can easily recall my most memorable foot races.

The 5k run that defined me and inspired the title of this blog is a small Milo elimination race in Baguio. My first race back in 2003, I was late, no warm-up, sprained an ankle in my stupidity and haste, persevered and limped the whole way to complete my first 5k and claim my first finisher shirt. Small race, lasting impressions.

My favorite 10K thus far is the 2008 Ictus Run in UP Diliman. It was my alma mater's centennial, I was running for a personal best in honor of my beloved university. It was my personal offering, my oblation run. I came short, but my personal effort - it was pure, it was honorable. Small race, grand intentions.

My best marathon experience occured not in clean and fancy Singapore, but in hot and dusty Manila. In 2009, a small group of friends and I did our maiden marathon during the Milo eliminations, supported by well-meaning friends who believed in our quest for self-actualization. It was a most beautiful story of camaraderie, encouragement, community spirit and mutual support. The 42k Milo crowd was smaller then, but big on courage, heart and spirit. Small race, overwhelming experience.

I long to experience again the beauty of the small race. On March 27, I shall do my favorite Yakult 10-miler for the 4th time if I am not mistaken.

1 comment:

1k4tribike said...

I have only been joining races for about a couple of years and, because of the apparent lack of security and "small" numbers, there is indeed a tendency for runners to forego the lesser known races. You have the festive atmosphere of all races organized by Runrio/Finishline but there is the sense of community that "small" races have, especially if held inside UP Diliman. Hopefully, after the dust has settled over Condura, United, Globe or Adidas KOTR, newbie runners would join "small" races, even for short runs.