Thursday, June 30, 2011

24th of July

Where will you run on the 24th of July? I have been asked this question by newbie runners in the office. I told them I would run 10K in Takbo Runfest. Why not Rexona Run, they countered? There are many freebies and come ons, they added. How do I encapsulized in a sentence the many reasons I chose Runfest? I ended up simply saying, I identify with takbo.ph.

Yes I am a moderator of the takbo.ph forum. A very active one in its first 2 years of existence; not as free nowadays admittedly. Yes I am a friend of Jinoe and Quennie Gavan, owners of takbo.ph site, as well as Doc Lyndon of race organzer LeadPack. My race enlistment though is governed, not by personal debt of gratitude, but personal acknowledgement of the forum's role in the running boom as well as homage to the good, old values of takbo.ph.

My race is my expression of gratitude for the numerous friendships I made through the forum,  the role the takbo.ph community played in my journey as a runner and a person, and the inspiration and avenue to positively influence others that membership in the community brings. Acceptance, tolerance, diversity, community spirit, never-say-die attitude, triumph over adversity through group struggle, achievement and fun  -  all these I learned and experienced within the community. My race is my display of loyalty to these values I cherish.

My circle of friends brought the same values when we formed a multisport team. In multisport, we are Endure; in running, takbo.ph. We were insistent on that. We pay homage to the site that drew us all. For us, to belong to takbo.ph in the realm of running is enough. We view with tinge of sadness then the splintering of the takbo.ph ever-growing class into smaller groups, beginning with small number and now with so many groups it gets hard to keep track. Whereas before there was only the takbo.ph banner, now each group has his own. I suppose it is inevitable. In an effort to belong and identify, each cluster formed a group. In a sea of so many small groups, does one truly stand out or belong?

When I race for a personal 10K best on the 24th, I shall wear my takbo singlet, not my Endure shirt. That is my testament that underneath the greater mantle of takbo.ph community, a runner and his group has room still for expression of self and group affiliation. For instance, I liked what Team CB did last year when they ran in takbo singlet with colored hair. It could be done. My personal wish is that current running groups can find that unique expression of takbo affiliation and group allegiance. At least for the Runfest. For the Runfest, let us be One. Different, but One.

See you all on the 24th :-)



11 comments:

Jinoe said...

Wow. Thanks Rico. I miss those simple days. See you at Runfest and also in the other races.

Buy me a bike and I will join the tri. :D

RunningAtom said...

My heart is also torn in choosing what to race on the 24th. But I have decided, if time and energy permits, after finishing my 16k at the RunFest, I might still race my 3k for the Rexona Run. Well, that's if I could make pass the enjoyment of everyone at the Runfest's finish line. :D

Anonymous said...

Awwww...Different But One.

I really hope that each takbo.ph member feels this essence and I pray that come July 24 we, once again showcase this kind of goodness - of friendship, camaraderie, tolerance and love.

Great Job Commish! Must write mine soon :)

Doc Marvz said...

The Banner Bearer shall be present to proudly take our photos! :D

Never forget our roots! :) takbo.ph

joycemorrison said...

well said and very well written, rico. :`-)

Roy Tan said...

Nice one, Rico... to me, there really is but one choice...the runfest...

yes, I agree totally regarding groups getting bigger and bigger...subgroups eventually arise...

See you...

abbyjocson said...

This is very nice rico :) well written :)

Kenkoy Runner said...

no need to choose. i've made up my mind even from the start ;) how can one miss this race when things here started as a PR, not the PR that takes note how much you've deleted from your previous record, but something that ADDS on to what you already have, and will continue to have, PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS.

good job commish. just like the "OLDEN" times ;)

see you there blackies!

Bong Z said...

Ingatan ang mga black singlets, baka may manungkit ng sampayan :-)

See you all on the 24th!

Anonymous said...

Nice one Rico.

See you on the 24th. Hope to see the other pioneers as well.

Cheers,
Doc Lyndon

Titanium Runner said...

TEAM REEBOK RUNNING will be there at the Runfest. We share the same things that you mentioned here on this post. TEAM REEBOK RUNNING started because of Takbo.ph from a pair of shoes that couldn't fit Jinoe. It went to me for review, and the rest as they say is history. I would not have evolved to be Titanium Runner either without the community of Takbo.ph and we will gladly wear the Takbo singlets to support this great community that has given running bloggers a chance to represent an internal running apparel.