Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Topsy-turvy for Duathlete No. 69

This duathlon virgin did a 69.


My race number sums it all up.
Thanks to Ian for getting me this bib and to Ronald for immortalizing it via this photo.




Top 5 things that made my race a topsy-turvy 69:


I did 2 mini-sprint tris, 2 sprint tris, and 3 aquathlons before doing my first duathlon. That's how much I respect (read: fear) duathlon - running and cycling being my weakest disciplines.

2.
Relative to my capabilities, I actually did better in the bike part than in the runs. Ironic considering I had very little saddle time the past two months, and had been focusing on my run

3.
This is supposed to be a sprint duathlon, but I was running at LSD pace. Hehe.
I just finished my LSD phase of marathon training actually.
Yes! I have a convenient excuse for being sloow!

4.
I brought my Garmin to pace my run, but forgot to charge it. Stupendous!

5.
I joined this race primarily to support two newbie officemates,
but they were not able to make it to the race! Bummer!






But bib 69 did give me small peaks and a happy ending:


Thanks to Ivan for the photo


  1. I thought I would be last on my first duathlon outing, but surprisingly I ended 11th - from the last!


  2. I improved slightly my average bike speed to 24kph from my last average (pathetic) ride of 22kph on flats. Wonder of wonders I even overtook a few bikers! It may seem odd - topsy-turvy - but I average better on rolling terrain. Pedal masher me got to work on my spinning. I felt I could have gone faster on the bike, but I was being conservative (probably too much) for my last run leg. Next target: 27kph average


3.
From my LSD glacier pace of 8:30 on very long runs (30kms up), I have upped my recent run pace to 7:30min/km. I hope to bring it to at least 7min/km come marathon day.


4.
I may be tired and sore, but I had no cramps and did not injure myself.


5.
I had a blast watching friends and trading stories with them post-race.



The nice thing about being at the last quarter of the finishers' list is that I can only get better!


Next time I will register myself and get a number closer to 1. :-)


12 comments:

Ria said...

Nice post! Congrats to you, fellow first-timer :) may we participate in more duathlons in the future.. and good point you got there, it can only get better for us who are some of the last to finish! (ako: 15th place out of 16 females)

RUNNING DIVA said...

Congrats on this. Gearing for Camsur, eh? ;)

Rico Villanueva said...

Thanks Ria. You will only get better. Once you master the bike, you can excel at this. Kitakits sa next duathlon. I heard the finals is in MOA again - November or December :-)

Rico Villanueva said...

Roselle, yeah. Devirginizing myself now so I can enjoy Camsur next year. Hehe. :-)

ronald said...

congrats, MR. 69!

the seed has been planted.

tracy said...

Wow, congrats, Rico! :)

Red said...

nice article... congrats sir, hope we could link exchange... i'll be back in your next post.... enjoy life...

SEABISKWIT said...

COngrats Rico... Yep.. i'm sure it would only get better from here and you'll be kicking ass next time... Multisport lang ng multisport.. hahaha!

Rico Villanueva said...

'Langya ka Ronald. Sa iyo galing yang Mr. 69. Hehe. Anyway, pinangatawanan ko na. Thanks for the title, Hoff. Hehe.

Hey Tracy, kaya mo rin yang duathlon :-)

Thanks Rod...alam mo bang i have to Google pa what link exchange is...haha...from what I read in wikipedia, it looks ok...:-)

Ian, next time I will aim for 12th place, from the last! Honestly, I could do better. Pagpapaka-pseudo mamaw ako next time. Matapatan ko man lamang yung bike speed mo without cleats! Sayang naman yung Merida roadie and Sidi bike shoes ko!

The Traveling Mom said...

congrats boss you looked like you had a blast! :) may i mention you are losing weight? galeng, keep it up!

Marvin said...

congrats Rico! ;) sana may mag regalo sakin ng bike this Christmas so that I can finally join you guys. :D then triathlon na ito! hahaha! :D

Rico Villanueva said...

Hi Lorena, yeah I did have fun. Losing weight? I have lost a lot before but recently gaining a few pounds from recovery periods after long run. Hope to lose them before my next marathon in Subic.

Marvin, hingi kay kay Doktora Vicky hehe Oi, mag-aquathlon ka na habang hinintay regalo from doktora :-)