Thursday, October 1, 2009

Need to Run

Tonight I intend to run.

Even for just 5k.

Ondoy robbed me of the chance to do the New Balance 21k. The chance to relive that day when I fell in love with running. That day in Clark I realize I love running not only because it gives me a high and keeps me trim, but because the instrinsic motion it entails is a joy in itself. Until now, the last 5kms of my 25K NB Power race remains the best 5kms of my running life.
Tonight in a week of challenges I wish to revisit that joy.
I spent the weekend updating myself on the storm scene and touching base with friends. The first two nights of the work week, a couple of friends and I visited two runner friends affected by the storm flood. The analytical, obsessive-compulsive me thought our group had the financial and material support all planned and coordinated. There was a well-spring of support from fellow runners that you could not help but be energized and inspired by it. Just when we thought we could rest for a while after our initial support efforts, news came that more help for greater number of people was needed. Suddenly I felt overwhelmed. Suddenly I felt powerless.
I spent the entire day yesterday coordinating and drumming for more support - trying to be calm and collected when inside I was also running dry. I used last night's 40-th day of remembering for the death of a friend's father to ponder on things. Sometimes, to run away is to find your way back to what is essential. There I go again, I realize. Trying to do things on my own, or at best doing it with a few friends, when some things are best left to a Higher Power. So tonight I surrender and submit myself to the Angel Brigade, enlisting to be an Angel Packer wrapping gifts of food, clothing, compassion and hope.
But before the packing job I want to run. I feel I must run. I feel must bring back some sense of normalcy. Not that I am affected by the flood directly. It's just that running is part of who I am and what I do. Running is my personal statement that despite the difficulties, life goes on. It is not an expression of apathy; it is the embodiment of action. I want to feel joy so I can radiate joy.
Life is indeed an marathon. It only ends when you reach the pearly gates of the Finish Line. In the meantime, you run, walk, rest or eat. When things go tough, you persevere. Nobody wants a DNF (Did Not Finish). You find yourself creating characters in your mind. Even singing Ate Shawie's "Unti-unting mararating, kalangitan at bituin, " or Aegis' "Heto ako, basang-basa sa ulan". You either seek meaning in your difficult undertaking, or draw humor from the pain you feel inside or out.
Spirituality & Laughter. These are what we are good at, and with these we shall overcome all trials.
Tonight I hope to see a lot of runners in our collective playground that is Boni High Street or McKinley Hills.
I say we run. Run, because our bodies need to laugh, and our spirit longs to soar.
Angel Brigade:
Address: (old Shang Palace showroom, across Pacific Plaza Towers): Rizal Drive corner 4th Avenue, Bonifacio Global City . For details, you may call Marga 0922-8962742/ 0917-5062742

10 comments:

Jayson Deuna said...

Hi Rico,

Nice post. It's really really tough to run these days. So every opportunity we have to run, run our hearts out. :)

I just added your blog site on my Blog Roll as a token of appreciation for visiting my blog and for your comments.

Regards.

Kenkoy Runner said...

ako din i need to run! :) see you later!

argonaut said...

buti nakatakbo rin ako kahit konti... now i wish matuloy ang LSD sa Sunday due to Pepeng...

Gingerbreadman said...

It's one of those weeks Ricow :) I got a fever for reasons unknown, will skip my run today, rest, hope to meet you guys there in like an hour, then run tomorrow. Very good writeup btw.

Parkie said...

Great and quite a profound post you got there Rico. The Pinoy running blog world needs more writers like you! You definitely made a fan out of me.

BTW, thanks for adding me to your blogroll! I added you to my list as well, I hope you don't mind. :)

truman said...

there you go! :) i'm sure you were finally satisfied with tonight's run.

Rico Villanueva said...

Hi Jayson. Running our hearts out - I like that! :-)

Oo nga Timmy, mukhang run-na-run ka kagabi. Todo bigay pati sa drills! Way to go, kenkoyrunner!

Nice seeing you GBM and the other guys and gals last night. To be able to squeeze in a micro-run, support coordination, a few minutes of packing, a birthday and thanksgiving celebration is one of life's small miracles. Thanks for the comment......Idol! (hahaha)

Hey Parkie, thanks...I am also a fan of other blogs. I suppose we should all retain that fan in us, so we avoid the folly of being swell-headed. Amazing little CNN-link story you got there in you blog by the way.

Haha. Thanks Brian. Pero bitin pa eh - 2K lang with long intervals. Haha. But 2K is still a 2K so I am squeezing every joy from it. Nice seeing you man. And thanks for giving others a ride last "relief operations".

Rico Villanueva said...

Argo, sana nga matuloy yung Sunday LSD

Unknown said...

Hey Rico,it was nice seeing you last Thursday. We all needed a break from all the stress brought to us by Ondoy.

Rico Villanueva said...

Hey Jan, nice to see you last night. Yeah, we need a break - one step back, two steps forward :-) Hope you had a good run. See you in Subic!