Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Go Out and Bike

For the nth time, I planned to leave the office at 6pm, but I actually timed out at a little past 7pm. I was supposed to go to the gym, but I was just too tired just like most days. Lack of sleep, and a slew of concerns at work, at home and in my social circle have been sapping my strength. As I drove towards home, I muttered to myself:  tomorrow I will definitely go to the gym, and register for a duathlon. Tomorrow.

In less than an hour I was at home at the outskirts of the Metro. Tired, spent and hungry. I considered running before dinner, in my village that is very conducive for running and biking. But I felt like I would actually collapse from mental and physical exhaustion. I ate dinner instead. Maybe after dinner I would feel better. Maybe after dinner I could at least bike.

Dinner was good, as always. Nourished, I felt a bit better. Watching the litter of beagles frolicking in a playpen inside our living room also never failed to lift my spirits. It's 9pm - I still have a chance to sneak in a training, or surrender to the daily grind of my current existence. I chose the former.

I grabbed my bike and snatched a slice of the good life from my daily grind. I know I am still tired, but I must get out. I must pedal no matter how slow and low the gear may be. Sometimes, all it takes is to pedal the stress away.

My new home never fails to uplift my spirits. The all-day long breeze is like balm to the wounded spirit. The hills beckon - enough to challenge the spirit, but not too steep to dampen it. On my bike, I still love observing the houses, taking in all the architectural details, sifting what is beautiful and elegant from what may be tacky or crass. The green thumb in me noted all the trees and foliage as well as the sensibilities that went into the landscaping.

Forty-five minutes. Sometimes that is all it takes. Sometimes - in the midst of frenzy, all it takes is to go out and bike.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your upcoming duathlon! :)

Dave Pascht said...

Just be strong!