Monday, September 30, 2019

Mini-sprint tri finish feels like a 70.3

Race Report:  UPLB Trantados Club's Beginners Triathlon, September 28, 2019

It was my comeback race after a year of not having enough time nor energy to join a race. I was nervous and excited. I was confident I could finish the 400m swim, and was resigned to walking the 3km run, but I was not sure if my butt was primed enough to sit for 18kms. Last I tried to actually ride my bike, I rode a glacial pace of 12kph!!!

I wore box trunks for the swim leg because I wanted to channel Marco Gumabao in Just A Stranger. This is after all a costume tri as well. Truth is, I eschewed my trisuit because I needed to breathe freely. Plan worked because I finished the swim without issues. Deadlast following doctor's order of moderate exertion only, but with enough energy left for the dreaded bike. I made sure I thanked the lap marshals for waiting for me.

Bike was easy on the way out. It was 3km slight downhill drift to Open University through Pili drive. Weehee, I am actually hitting high 20s in my hybrid bike! Far departure from 12kph :)  Going back was tougher - spinned it at 12kph :(  It was fun to see the other participants in the first two loops of my bike segment. People thinned out in my last loop, but I remained cheerful and thankful for all the marshals who cheered. They cheered for every thank you and sorry I said.

The best part for me was the run. Just about a handful of us are running, including a kid with malformed legs who happily finished as I went through my third run loop. I walked all throughout, mindful that I might be taxing my heart for almost 2 hr effort. I would apologize and thank the marshals every loop, and they peppered me back with cheers. On my last loop, a gang of more than a dozen Trantados members in costume joined me per their tradition. They chanted, joked, poked fun and cheered all throughout, so much so I actually managed to jog a bit in the last 300 meters. Sprint daw eh. With a cheerful squad like that, how could I not?

       📷 Tracy Carpena and Ghia Nabong

I crossed the finish line jubilant, drowning in happiness by the good vibes and cheers of the crowd. It was the best way to finish last. I did not crave attention, but these guys made me feel like a rockstar. It felt like finishing my first half-ironman. From the bottom of my recovering heart, thank you very much ❤


By sheer will and God's grace,
Rico V

No comments: