Friday, December 5, 2008

Homecoming Run

As 2008 draws to close, I have been thinking which race will cap my triumphant return (at least from my point of view) to running. I thought my year-ender race will be the Yakult 10-miler (on December 7), a distance I have run twice in my 5-year love/hate relationship with running. The Yakult run would bring good memories, for although I was not fast, I would normally do reassuring negative splits on these races.

Then I heard about the UP Centennial Run, organized by UP ICTUS with Runrio as race organizer. I realized I have done 2 Animo runs, but not one organized run in UP. I have done a triathlon in UP Los Baños, literally my birthplace as I was delivered in its infirmary. I have fond memories of that first triathlon, where I would tell one race organizer, a high school batchmate, "Alden, I helped you with math and science before. This is my first triathlon, you will wait for me to finish, right?" I finished triumphantly last with cheers from the crowd. Thanks, buddy.
I must also do a run for my other alma mater that is UP Diliman. The December 14 run will be my celebration of UP's 100 years of existence. It will also be another homecoming of sorts for me - to UP which has always been good to me. As I survey the 10K race route, I said to myself: This will be another nostalgia run for me. But I promise to run strong, in honor of UP and its proud tradition of excellence. This early my mind is already going back to UP School of Economics where love and friendships began, the College of Law where friends and I would eat and pass on our way to the dormitory, the Ipil dorm where I would foolishly enroll in non-degree courses like Non-Linear Programming just so I can extend my stay in UP, and the UP oval where my then 150lb self would exclaim to my jogging buddy: "What, you are 180lbs?"

When I do my run, I would probably sing in my mind Daughtry's Home


Well I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.
I'm not running from.
No, I think you got me all wrong.
I don't regret this life I chose for me.
But these places and these faces are getting old,
So I'm going home.
Well I'm going home.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Join the crowd, UP Los Banos was also one of my first tri's and I can stillr emember you. Next year we are going to kick butt together right? I will also run the UP 10k next weekend so maybe I will see you there. I like your spirit, keep it burning. God bless.

run unlimited said...

Good luck Rico, run strong. See you at yakult.

Rico Villanueva said...

Thanks, Philip. Yeah, will kick butt next year (keeping my fingers crossed). See you in UP Diliman on Sunday.

Vener, nice to see you last Sunday. I think I ran strong enough. Beat my old 16K PR as well as my recent 15K time.